Tuesday, March 1, 2011

More projects

A few more projects to help me feel some sort of accomplishment.  I've been searching for a dresser/buffet for the living room and I finally found one for 70$!  (I've been surprised at how high people sell their used things on craigslist in this area.)  The only hitch is that it came from a house of smokers.  


I sanded it down, cleaned it with 409 and sprayed it with Lysol before it was brought into the house.  It's too cold to paint it outside.  I got some paint/primer and painted it.

Old color and new color.  I wasn't too sure of the color at first.
Before I painted the body of the dresser, I cleaned it thoroughly with Pledge citrus oil wood cleaner to try to ward off some more of the smell......still smelly, but better.

Almost done....Stevie wanted to be in the picture
I posted on facebook asking for any suggestions to get the smoke smell out of the dresser and one suggestion was to put coffee (in bowls) in the dresser to absorb the smell.  So I put a little bowl in each drawer and now it smells like cheap coffee.  Next time I'll have to spring for something with a better smell.  At this point I don't even think it's the drawers, the painted top smells like smoke, horribly.  I guess I'm going to have to wait it out.



Although it might smell funny, at least it looks pretty!

Oh, and since I had to get the sander out for the dresser I decided to refinish the wood shutters in the dining room.  When we were trying to clean the many years of funk off of them, some of the finish came off.  And since Steve had made such pretty panels for them, I figured I could make them look a little better.




No comments:

Blog Archive