Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Turkey Pot Pie for Dinner

I made turkey potpie for dinner tonight, with homemade crust.

Stevie got to play with the leftover dough and made mommy a heart.  

This is what Lizzie was doing

Finished product

Stevie even played with the leftovers after dinner.  Who knew leftover dough could bring  such joy?


I got a pie crust recipe from BigOven.com and off course tweaked it, very minorly, and it was delicious with our Turkey Potpie for dinner tonight.

No Fail Pie crust from bigoven.com

4 cups flour
1+3/4 cups Shortening (**I used 1 cup crisco + 3/4 cup margarine**)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup cold water
1 egg

Mix together flour, sugar and salt.  Cut in the shortening.  In a small bowl add vinegar, cold water and egg.  Stir with fork until well blended.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well by hand.  Divide into 4 balls, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.  Remove one ball at a time and roll into flat circle to fit pie pan.

For the filling I chopped, seasoned with a little poultry seasoning and sauteed 1 onion, 2 celery stalks, 1 carrot, 2 small zucchini, and 4 smaller garlic cloves.  I chopped up some  trader joe's turkey that is just like I oven roasted it and sliced it into delicious thick slices.  For the rest of the veggies, I used a frozen mix from trader joe's with corn, green beans, peas, and carrots.  I mixed it all together in a bowl, added some turkey gravy and voila, some darn good potpie filling.  (Adding gravy is a 'secret' my dad taught me).  Oh, and this is enough to make 2 pies.  Make sure your bottom crust is in the pan (and I poked some holes in it, too vent, just in case) then spoon in your filling evenly.  Top it off with some more pie crust, trim the overage and try to make pretty.  Repeat with the other pan and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  This was filling and delicious and I have a complete pie for leftovers!

No comments:

Blog Archive